A new demographic of travelers we see emerging these days are women who enjoy traveling and exploring the world on their own. The world can be a dangerous place for women, many countries around the globe still don’t treat women the way they deserve to be treated. Some even have laws which limit what women are able to do (women are not even considered citizens in Saudi Arabia) so that is something you need to educate yourself on when traveling the globe.
We have a number of options for women to safely travel alone while still remaining safe and protected. We will discuss some of these options here.
- Choose a safe destination. Of course this would be the best way to travel alone. Some destinations you want to see may not be on the safe list, maybe save those trips for times when you will have a companion. When on your own, choose a safe place. Discover your own country, Canada is so different from coast to coast to coast that you will feel like you are in a whole other world and you don’t even need a passport! Other safe destinations that are wonderful and exciting places to visit are places like Iceland, Ireland, Switzerland and many other areas of Europe. You might meet other solo women travelers along the way to share travel tips or meals with, plan new adventures, or exchange bucket list stories with. Australia & New Zealand are also exciting destinations with so much to see and learn that are quite safe for solo women travelers. Choosing safe doesn’t mean you are limiting your adventures, it means you are being smart.
- Educate yourself. Learn about the places you are planning on going to visit and understand their culture. Does the country or city you are visiting have any laws that may prevent you from doing certain things or visiting certain places? Some villages in India have a ban against women using a cell phone. So be careful taking a selfie. And in Iran, women are not permitted to enter a sports stadium, so don’t plan on attending any games while visiting that country. You will also need to know what type of visa you will need to enter each destination, what kind of charger to bring for your electronics, currency and exchange, what credit cards are accepted, and so much more.
- Support other women worldwide. One of the best things you can do while traveling as a woman is to support other women! Look for female vendors at local markets. For many of them, this is their only source of income. In a number of countries, women are limited on entering the workforce and still have to provide for a family. It’s also a great way to make new friends and gain valuable connections. I also just recently learned of a service called Women Welcome Women World Wide based in the UK which runs on the donations of its members. Once a member, you belong to a list of women around the world (coverage in 74 countries!) that you can meet up with and they can show you their city or country, you can plan to travel together, or just visit a friendly face. Check it out here: www.womenwelcomewomen.uk
- Pack light. As a woman, I know how hard this can be. We want to look our best at all times! But when exploring the world, you want to make sure you only have the necessities. Make the most of your wardrobe with mix & match pieces, accessories like necklaces, scarves, etc. to help change the look, a comfortable pair of shoes for walking along with a pair of dressier shoes in a neutral colour that can go with anything! And try to only bring travel size bottles of toiletries to help with heavy load. A shampoo bar is a great idea as well to reduce package waste and help with your own personal carbon footprint. You can get one here: https://amzn.to/2VprSTC – no need for conditioner!
- Always be prepared. No matter where you are in the world there are creeps lurking and ready to attack an unsuspecting female alone. Always be cautious, take extra steps to protect yourself, bring a flashlight if you plan on going out at night. Even if it’s an all-inclusive resort that feels secure and has security, walking a path in your own city, or a dirt road in an African village, predators are everywhere. Keys between your fingers as a weapon, keep valuables close to your body, no loose purses that can easily be snatched. There are a number of products that are marketed to help keep women safe while traveling, do some research to find what will work best for you. Here are some links to some products we recommend here (click here) Unfortunately our world is still a scary place in every corner. Play it safe, always be prepared and trust your instincts. If something doesn’t feel right, you are probably best to avoid it.
These are just a few tips for traveling alone as a woman. You have many options to travel the world safely. There are groups that you can travel with as well like Contiki for those ages 18-35, G Adventures, Just You Travel and more that will pair you up with another woman in the same age range with similar interests. You are still on your own, experiencing new things, but traveling safely within a pack of individuals on the same adventure.
For more assistance with your solo travel feel free to contact your favourite travel agent, or stop by our office at 1757 Water Street in Miramichi, NB. We would be happy to help you plan your next bucket list quest! We have years of experience in the industry and have visited many destinations around this marvelous planet of ours. We are just a call away at 1.888.236.2747 or 506.778.8345. For the truly independent, we encourage you to book on our website at www.marlintravel.ca/1600 where you can book your flights, accommodations, excursions, and more, by yourself, but still have an agent in your corner when you need it. We are always here for you no matter where you are in the world.